I am a Professor of Theoretical Subatomic Physics at the University of Groningen and Scientific Director of the Van Swinderen Institute for Particle Physics and Gravity, which is an institute of the Faculty of Science and Engineering. I am an elected Fellow of the American Physical Society (september 2019).
My group consists of the following people.
Other current professional activities:
- Chair of the NWO network "Theoretical High-Energy Physics" (2021 -)
- Member of the NWO Advisory committee Particle and Astroparticle Physics (PAPP) (2021 - 2024)
- Convener of the QCD Working Group of CERN's "Physics Beyond Colliders" (PBC) Study Group (2021 -)
- Member of the External Advisory Board of the BNL EIC Theory Institute, NY, U.S.A. (2022-)
- Mercator fellow of the DFG Forschungsgruppe “Next Generation Perturbative QCD for Hadron Structure: Preparing for the Electron-Ion Collider” (2019-2025)
- Member of the Governing Board of STRONG2020, a Horizon 2020 Integrating Activity for Advanced Communities (2019 - 2023)
- Member of the Educational Board of the Dutch Research School of Theoretical Physics (2011 -)
Some past and present activities:
- Publications as listed in the SPIRES database: FIND A BOER,DANIEL
- The conferences and meetings I participated in.
- Some of my talks are available on the web.
- In the period 2008-2011 I organized (together with Ana Achucarro and Jan de Boer) the biannual National Seminar Theoretical High Energy Physics.
- The workshops I (co-)organized.
- Member of the Physics Advisory Board of the Lorentz Center (2018 - 2022)
- Member of the NIAS-Lorentz Fellowship Board (2021 - 2023)
- European representative in the Steering Committee of the Electron-Ion Collider Users Group (EICUG) (2017 - 2021)
- Scientific Director of the Van Swinderen Institute for Particle Physics and Gravity (2017 - 2020)
- Member of CERN's SPS and PS Experiments Committee (SPSC) (2017 - 2020)
- Deputy Programme Director (Adjunct Opleidingsdirecteur) of the BSc Physics & Applied Physics Programmes at the University of Groningen (2016 - 2017)
- Member of the Management Committee to COST Action CA15213 “Theory of hot matter and relativistic heavy-ion collisions” (2016 - 2021)
- Member of the Scientific Counsil (Wetenschappelijke Advies Raad) of the National Institute for Subatomic Physics (Nikhef), Amsterdam (2016 - 2017)
2014-2017: Tenured Associate Professor at the VSI, Groningen
2009-2013: Tenured Assistant & Associate Professor at the KVI, Groningen.
2004-2009: Tenured Assistant Professor ("Universitair Docent") at the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam.
2001-2006: Research position ("Akademie Onderzoeker") at the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, on a fellowship of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (KNAW)
1998-2001: Research Associate at the RIKEN-BNL Research Center (RBRC) at the Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL), Long Island, New York. The RBRC was founded in 1997 by director emeritus and Nobel Laureate Tsung-Dao Lee. BNL is home to the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider RHIC, a collider of 3.8 km circumference, currently the only high energy particle collider in the U.S.
1994-1998: Ph.D. research position ("FOM-OIO") at the theory group of the NIKHEF institute in Amsterdam.
- The title of my Ph.D. thesis is: Azimuthal Asymmetries in Hard Scattering Processes.
- Thesis defense at the Vrije Universiteit (Sept 15, 1998); thesis advisor: professor Piet Mulders.
- My scientific genealogy.
1989-1994: theoretical physics student at the University of Utrecht (ITF):
- The title of my Master's thesis was: Quantum Corrections to the Axial Anomaly. My thesis advisor was professor Bernard de Wit, author of the book "Field Theory in Particle Physics" (co-author: J. Smith)