Currently I am a professor at the Van Swinderen
Institute for Particle Physics and Gravity
of the University of Groningen. Before coming to Groningen in 2009, I
had a group at the VU University Amsterdam. I still collaborate
actively with people in Amsterdam (Nikhef/VU).
Since 2001 I have supervised Ph.D. and M.Sc. students (B.Sc. students are not listed here).
At present I supervise the following people:
- Ruud Peeters [Ph.D. student] on: Higgs phenomenology
- Florent Scarpa [Ph.D. student in Orsay & Groningen]
on: Studies and applications of linearly polarized gluons at LHC (shared supervision with Jean-Philippe Lansberg)
- Tom van Daal [Ph.D. student in Amsterdam]
on: Scale dependence of quark
and gluon spin and transverse momentum effects (shared supervision with Piet Mulders)
- Tomas Heldeweg [M.Sc. student] on: Sphalerons in the Standard Model and in experiments
- Anno Touwen [M.Sc. student] on: E6 and E8 grand unification
- Sybrand Zeinstra [M.Sc. student] on: Fine-tuning in theories with extended Higgs sectors
- Jelle Thole [M.Sc. student] on: SO(10) GUTs and flavor symmetries
- Eric Pap [M.Sc. student] on: Exceptional points and PT symmetry (shared supervision with Holger Waalkens)
Past members of my group in Groningen:
- Susan van der Woude [M.Sc. student] Finished July
2017: "Radiative Symmetry Breaking in minimal Conformally Invariant
extensions of the Standard Model"
- Wouter Dekens [Ph.D. student] Degree October 2015: "Discrete symmetry breaking beyond the Standard Model". Before he was my M.Sc.
on "A4 family symmetry". Now postdoc in Los Alamos on a Rubicon grant.
Past members of my group at the VU Amsterdam in the period
- Wilco den Dunnen [Ph.D. student] Degree
February 2013: "Polarization effects in proton-proton collisions within
the Standard Model and beyond". Before he was my M.Sc. student
on "Vacuum structure of the strong interactions with a Peccei-Quinn
symmetry". Went on to become a postdoc at the University of Tübingen. Now at Ernst & Young.
- Jorn Boomsma [Ph.D. student]
Degree June 2010: "Effects of instanton interactions on the phases of
quark matter". Now a high school teacher.
- Ana Mizher [guest Ph.D. student from Rio de
Janeiro Federal U.]
March 2009 - February 2010, worked on: Phase transitions in quark
- Erik Wessels [Ph.D. student]
Degree June 2009: "Signatures of gluon saturation in high energy
scattering". Now a high school teacher.
- Andre Utermann [postdoc]
2006-2008, became postdoc at University of Regensburg, moved on to work
large life insurance company in Germany.
- John Hug [M.Sc. student]
2007-2008, worked on: Color Glass Condensate.
Moved back to the U.S. before finishing.
- Sjoerd Hardeman [M.Sc. student] (shared
supervision with Rudy Wijnands (University of Amsterdam))
Degree April 2007: "Quark matter influence on the observational
properties of compact stars".
Went on to do a Ph.D. at Leiden University, sadly passed away July 7,
- Harmen Warringa
Degree February 2006: "Thermodynamics of QCD-inspired theories".
Postdoc in Trondheim (NTNU), at Brookhaven National Laboratory, and at
J.W. Goethe University, Frankfurt am Main. Currently app and webpage
- Pedro Jimenez Delgado [M.Sc. student] (shared
supervision with Piet Mulders)
Degree June 2004: "Exotic pentaquark baryons in a quark cluster model".
Obtained a Ph.D. at the University of Dortmund, then postdoc at the
University of Zurich, and Jefferson Laboratory. Now a Quantitative Finance Analyst in London.
- Paul Becherer [M.Sc. student]
Degree August 2003: "Chiral symmetry restoration in linear sigma models
at finite temperature".
Obtained a Ph.D. at Leiden University in 2008. Now Development
Scientist at Culgi.
- Max Baak [M.Sc. student]
Degree November 2001: "Anomalous W-Fermion Couplings; Theory and
Obtained a Ph.D. in experimental physics (VU/Nikhef) in 2007, became staff
member at CERN. Now a senior manager at KPMG.