Currently I am a professor at the Van Swinderen
Institute for Particle Physics and Gravity
of the University of Groningen. Before coming to Groningen in 2009, I
had a group at the VU University Amsterdam. I still collaborate
actively with people in Amsterdam (Nikhef/VU).
Since 2001 I have supervised Ph.D. and M.Sc. students (B.Sc. students are not listed here).
At present I supervise the following people:
- Eric Pap [Ph.D. student] on: Adiabatic Quantum Theory (shared supervision with Holger Waalkens). Before he was our M.Sc.
on "Exceptional points and PT symmetry"
- Chalis Setyadi [Ph.D. student]: on Wilson lines in high-energy scattering
- Ruud Peeters [Ph.D. student] on: Higgs phenomenology
- Florent Scarpa [Ph.D. student in Orsay & Groningen]
on: Studies and applications of linearly polarized gluons at LHC (shared supervision with Jean-Philippe Lansberg)
- Tom van Daal [Ph.D. student in Amsterdam]
on: Scale dependence of quark
and gluon spin and transverse momentum effects (shared supervision with Piet Mulders)
- Jelle Thole [M.Sc. student] on: SO(10) GUTs and flavor symmetries
Past members of my group in Groningen:
- Tomas Heldeweg [M.Sc. student] Finished August 2018: "Sphaleron solutions and their phenomenology in the electroweak theory".
- Anno Touwen [M.Sc. student] Finished August 2018: "Extending Symmetries of the Standard Model towards Grand Unification".
- Sybrand Zeinstra [M.Sc. student] Finished August 2018: "Studies of fine-tuning in extended Higgs models". Now Ph.D. student in Münster.
- Susan van der Woude [M.Sc. student] Finished July
2017: "Radiative Symmetry Breaking in minimal Conformally Invariant
extensions of the Standard Model". Now Ph.D. student in Heidelberg.
- Wouter Dekens [M.Sc. and Ph.D. student] Ph.D.
degree October 2015: "Discrete symmetry breaking beyond the Standard
Model". M.Sc. project
on "A4 family symmetry". Moved on to become postdoc in Los Alamos,
initially on a Rubicon grant. Now postdoc at the University of San
Past members of my group at the VU Amsterdam in the period
- Wilco den Dunnen [M.Sc. and Ph.D. student] Ph.D. degree
February 2013: "Polarization effects in proton-proton collisions within
the Standard Model and beyond". M.Sc. project
on "Vacuum structure of the strong interactions with a Peccei-Quinn
symmetry". Went on to become a postdoc at the University of Tübingen. Now at Ernst & Young.
- Jorn Boomsma [Ph.D. student]
Degree June 2010: "Effects of instanton interactions on the phases of
quark matter". Now a high school teacher.
- Ana Mizher [guest Ph.D. student from Rio de
Janeiro Federal U.]
March 2009 - February 2010, worked on: Phase transitions in quark
- Erik Wessels [Ph.D. student]
Degree June 2009: "Signatures of gluon saturation in high energy
scattering". Now a high school teacher.
- Andre Utermann [postdoc]
2006-2008, became postdoc at University of Regensburg, moved on to work
large life insurance company in Germany.
- John Hug [M.Sc. student]
2007-2008, worked on: Color Glass Condensate.
Moved back to the U.S. before finishing.
- Sjoerd Hardeman [M.Sc. student] (shared
supervision with Rudy Wijnands (University of Amsterdam))
Degree April 2007: "Quark matter influence on the observational
properties of compact stars".
Went on to do a Ph.D. at Leiden University, sadly passed away July 7,
- Harmen Warringa
Degree February 2006: "Thermodynamics of QCD-inspired theories".
Postdoc in Trondheim (NTNU), at Brookhaven National Laboratory, and at
J.W. Goethe University, Frankfurt am Main. Currently app and webpage
- Pedro Jimenez Delgado [M.Sc. student] (shared
supervision with Piet Mulders)
Degree June 2004: "Exotic pentaquark baryons in a quark cluster model".
Obtained a Ph.D. at the University of Dortmund, then postdoc at the
University of Zurich, and Jefferson Laboratory. Now a Quantitative Finance Analyst in London.
- Paul Becherer [M.Sc. student]
Degree August 2003: "Chiral symmetry restoration in linear sigma models
at finite temperature".
Obtained a Ph.D. at Leiden University in 2008. Now Development
Scientist at Culgi.
- Max Baak [M.Sc. student]
Degree November 2001: "Anomalous W-Fermion Couplings; Theory and
Obtained a Ph.D. in experimental physics (VU/Nikhef) in 2007, became staff
member at CERN. Now a senior manager at KPMG.